Friday, April 20, 2012

"The Hunger Games" Review

So I decided to write some movie reviews and I'm starting with a film everyone has seen already:  "The Hunger Games."

Before entering the theater to watch "The Hunger Games" this past Saturday, I promised myself I would not spend the entire time comparing it to the book, which I finished reading that morning. Unfortunately I failed miserably. With the book so fresh in my mind, I found it impossible not to think about how each scene in the film matched up with the corresponding scene in the book. I actually had the same problem when I first saw many of the Harry Potter movies, being a huge fan of the book series. I didn't have that problem with the last two Harry Potter films though. By then, it had been a few years since I read the books so I didn't have an exact memory of them. But, much like the Potter films, the movie version of "The Hunger Games" does not completely live up to the book. However, that does not stop it from being a great film.

Even though I was slightly disappointed that some events in the film do  not happen exactly as they do in the book, I kept reminding myself that all of the details in a novel couldn't be captured in a two-and-a-half-hour movie. The screenwriter (who I later found out is the book's author, Suzanne Collins) had to form a story for the film based out of all the information in the novel and could not fit in everything. (As a side note, that reminds me of the same writing process I used when I was a reporter at a community newspaper. I would gather a lot of information and only use what I needed to craft a story, rather than cramming in every bit.)

Set in Panem--a dystopian nation standing on the ruins of a post apocalyptic North America--the film follows the plot of the novel fairly closely. Panem consists of a wealthy city known as the Capitol and 12 poorer surrounding districts. To punish the districts for a past uprising against the Capitol, Panem's government imposed a yearly ritual called the Hunger Games, in which one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 are randomly selected from each district to fight to the death in a televised competition. During the Games, the participants are placed in an outdoor arena where they must survive unknown conditions and hazards controlled by agents of the Capitol. The Games serve as a way for the Capitol to keep the districts in line by reminding them that they are always at its mercy. Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year-old girl from the twelfth and poorest district, volunteers to be a sacrifice, or "tribute," in the 74th Annual Hunger Games to take the place of her younger sister Primrose, whose name is originally selected. The film centers on Katnis, who must travel to the extravagant Capitol, along with fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark, to train for and compete in the competition.

Reading the novel before seeing the film definitely biased my opinion of it, in both a good and a bad way. I already knew the full story so I wasn't confused by any missing background information. Plus, I was more forgiving than some because I loved the novel and wanted to love the film. However, I think the fact that the film glosses over or omits some of the novel's major plot points was possibly more noticeable to me than someone who hadn't read the book. For instance, the film mentions Panem began with thirteen districts but doesn't explain District 13 was destroyed in a catastrophic war caused by the rebellion. Also, a character says the victor of the Hunger Games is "bathed in riches" but the film doesn't explain what that includes. In the book, it is explained the victor receives money and a fancy house in their home district. The book also says that the Capitol provides extra food to the winner's home district for a year, which is why the competition is called the Hunger Games.

Additionally, some of the novel's brutality is lost in translation to the screen, however, not enough for the film to seem too toned down. A story about teenagers fighting to the death is obviously going to be violent and controversial but the film isn't nearly as brutal as the similarly themed Japanese film "Battle Royale," also based on a novel. Rather than focusing on the actual killing, "The Hunger Games" is more about Katniss's struggle for survival in the arena. Though the movie is not without deaths, it uses a shaky camera style that distracts from some of the violence and helps portray Katniss's frenzied experience. The most important aspect of the story that the film doesn't capture is Katniss's insight, given through first person narration in the novel. However, not having the limitations of first person narration allows the film to show scenes that take place with characters outside the arena while the games are taking place. Some of them are interesting additions but some detract a bit from what is really Katniss's story. One of the new scenes (that I won't give it away for that one person who hasn't seen the movie yet) is so unnecessary and over the top that I actually cringed a little.

The film features strong performances from some veteran actors including Woody Harrelson as Haymitch Abernathy, Katniss and Peeta's mentor and District 12's only living Hunger Games victor, and the marvelous Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickman, the Game's colorful host. But the movie really belonged to star Jennifer Lawrence, who played the role of Katniss to perfection. I can't think of another actress who could have done a better job capturing the character's charm, toughness and vulnerability. Lawrence played a similar role in the Academy Award nominated film "Winter's Bone," which could have been a "Hunger Games" prequel that tells the story of Katniss's ancestor, Ree Dolly. Like Katniss, Ree is a tough girl living in poverty who supports her younger siblings and nearly catatonic mother. Someone needs to cryogenically freeze Jennifer Lawrence so she can play Katniss again when "The Hunger Games" is remade in 10 or 15 years. I also loved young actress Amandla Stenberg as the character Rue, a 12-year-old chosen as the tribute from District 11. I just wish Rue had more screen time in the film.

Overall, I think "The Hunger Games" is a very compelling story with a lot of interesting themes, my favorites being the allusions to the popularity of reality television in today's culture and the gladiator combat that took place in the Roman Empire. I would recommend the movie to the person who hasn't seen it. I would also highly recommend the novel to anyone who enjoyed the movie because it gives much more depth to Panem and the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment