Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Next Stop: Comic-Con!

In just a day from now I'll be living a personal dream of mine: attending San Diego Comic-Con!

I can't believe, after years of just watching coverage on TV, I'll finally be in the San Diego Convention Center for the largest comic book convention in the world. For some, attending San Diego Comic-Con, or SDCC, is not a big deal at all. Some people go every year and have done so for many years, or decades even. I'm sure they still get excited about SDCC and look forward to it.

Attending SDCC this year is a big deal for me because I've wanted to go for years but the circumstances were never right. Either I didn't have the money or I didn't have the vacation time. But last year I became determined to make 2012 the year.

SDCC has so much to see and do that there is something almost anyone, or least anyone who's a fan of anything pop culture related. I am a fan of many supernatural themed shows (including "Supernatural"), science fiction and fantasy movies, action figures and comic books (yep, SDCC still does involve those). I know I'll only experience a small fraction of all there is to do.

In preparation, I've spent the past couple of weeks reading tips and survival guides, looking over the SDCC schedule and making an itinerary. Yep (for anyone who doesn't know), it's that serious. I've been to Baltimore Comic-Con, so I have a slight idea of what's in store, but I'm sure it will far surpass any expectations I have. Stan Lee is the biggest celebrity that I know of to appear at Baltimore Comic-Con, and that was just last year.

I could spend my entire time just going to the panels. The two main panels I want to see are the ones for "True Blood" and the aforementioned "Supernatural." But I also recently discovered there will be panels for other shows I watch including "Community," "The Walking Dead" and "The Big Bang Theory" (which I just recently started watching) and the film "Resident Evil: Retribution." Most people who know me know I am obsessed with the Resident Evil" movies. I also want to go to panels for DC Comics and "The Walking Dead" comic. They even have panels for writers and artists that I would also love to attend.

One thing I don't look forward to are the lines. From what I've read I'll spend most of my time in long lines. But I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I will definitely report back on experience. Hopefully I won't come back with the nerd flu, which apparently is a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment